For something truly special to accompany your main entrée, use Empires in this Apple Chutney. It’s particularly good with veal or lamb.
- 4 c Empire or other New England apples
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/2 c cider vinegar
- 1 t green peppercorns
- 1/2 c light brown sugar
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 4 T molasses
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1 hot green chili, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and cook, covered, for 30 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and continue to cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and the chutney is thick. If it gets too dry, just add a little water.