- 6 New England apples, peeled and sliced
- 1½ c prune juice
- 1 c pitted prunes
- 1 T brown sugar
- 2 t orange zest, 2 t vanilla, or 1 t anise seeds
- 4 orange slices, peeled and halved
- In 3-quart saucepan combine apples and prune juice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fruit is tender.
- Stir in prunes and sugar. Simmer 10 minutes until prunes are plumped. Stir in orange zest. Cool to room temperature.
- Pour into bowl, mix in orange slices, cover, and refrigerate for up to two weeks.
Use as a topping for cereal, pancakes, waffles, French toast, or as a relish with poultry, beef, and pork dishes.