- 1 c butter, softened
- 1-1/2 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 c applesauce, unsweetened
- 4 c flour
- 2 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- ½ t nutmeg
- 1 c nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 c raisins or dates, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease two 9" x 1-1/2" loaf pans.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and applesauce and beat well.
- Combine dry ingredients, stir well, adding nuts and raisins.
- Pour mixture into two prepared loaf pans.
- Bake one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 30 minutes, then turn onto cake rack and cool completely.
- Frost with your favorite orange or vanilla icing.