- 1 chicken, 4 or 4-1/2 lbs, cut into 8 pieces
- flour to coat
- 2 T oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 c apple cider
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 t sugar
- 3 New England apples, sliced
- pinch each of ground cloves, ginger, and sage
- Warm a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge the chicken pieces in flour. Add the oil to the warmed skillet.
- Brown chicken pieces in hot oil. Add onions and sautée until softened.
- Reduce flame, and add cider, lemon juice, and sugar. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add apples and seasonings and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve chicken pieces in a pool of apple cider sauce.