- 3 Rome or other New England apples, cored
- 1½ c apple juice
- 1½ t grated lemon zest
- ⅛ t ground ginger
- Remove peel around top third of each apple. In medium saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Place apples in hot apple juice. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes, basting and rotating apples frequently. Apples should be tender but still hold their shape.
- Remove apples with slotted spoon; halve each apple and place in individual serving dishes.
- Strain juice and return it to pan. Boil until juice is reduced to 1 cup; serve warm over warm apples.