Did you know that applesauce can be frozen? The taste and texture will not be changed.
- 6 lbs (8-10) New England apples, quartered
- 2 c water, apple juice, or cider
- quince, halved (optional)
- Place apples and quince in a heavy saucepan, add liquid, and cook over medium heat, covered, for 20 minutes. Apples should collapse easily when pressed with a fork.
- Remove from heat and pass through a food mill into a bowl. If not sweet enough, add sugar to taste.
- Season with cinnamon and nutmeg, if desired. Serve warm or cold.